Monday, November 12, 2007

In His image

I just read the short blurb about Kanye West's mother passing away due to complications from cosmetic surgery.

No one stated what surgical procedure or a reason for her having it, yet I can only assume that perhaps it was because she wanted to have something 'fixed'.

I've always had this very 'gray' view on cosmetic surgery. If God made us in His image and wanted all of us to be individuals, then why is the skyrocketing practice of plastic surgery flourishing? I know the general answers of society, media, men, the urge to look younger. It still doesn't stop me from being alarmed or taken aback at what people will do to their bodies to live up to some standard that people seem to think is one they should strive to meet.

I do think that some plastic surgery is amazing. It can give a breast cancer patient back her femininity, it can give a child with a cleft palate or other birth defects a chance to lead a life that isn't only easier emotionally but one that is easier in actual practice. Drinking, eating, walking, talking.

I just think that the 'balance' is off. The brains that He gave us to develop great things are also being used for such profit and manipulation on how we should look.

Is it really worth dying to just look younger or thinner or have a bigger breast size?

Don't feel like you have to meet someone's superficial standard of beauty especially when you've been given all the gifts you need to fulfill your purpose. Be beautiful in who you are.

Be true to you - set your own standard.

1 comment: